[Oa-italia] UC e Elsevier

Elena Giglia elena.giglia a unito.it
Mer 6 Mar 2019 09:29:30 CET

Riprendo l'articolo segnalato da Andrea Capaccioni (
https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/02/28/why-uc-split-with-publishing-giant-elsevier/)
per estrapolare questo gustoso incipit che la ldice lunga sulla correttezza
nelle contrattazioni:

Elsevier wanted to keep meeting with us, and we have a meeting scheduled
for tomorrow (Friday), but yesterday they approached our faculty directly —
faculty who are editors of Elsevier journals, who they have working
relationships with — and also the media, and presented a rosy view of the
offer they’d made to us. Their characterization of the offer left things
out, and they didn’t mention what we’d proposed as conditions. They went
public with it. So, we announced the end.

e questo calcolo, utile credo anche dalle nostre parti:

>From the very beginning, we had two goals: a reduction in costs — we pay
about $11 million a year to Elsevier in subscription fees, which is 25
percent of UC system-wide journal costs — and default open access
publication for UC authors: that is, that Elsevier would publish an
author’s work open access unless the author didn’t want to. This is
consistent with the UC faculty senate’s goal of all work being published
open access.

We also wanted a contract that integrated a paid subscription with open
access publishing fees. It would have been a transformative agreement, one
that would shift payments for reading journal articles into payments for
publishing them, and publishing them open access.

Elsevier eventually offered to do something like what we wanted, for open
access, but they wanted to charge us a lot more. Our current calculations
are that they would have increased the amount of our payments by 80 percent
— an additional $30 million over a three-year contract.
Buona lettura, merita davvero
eg