[Oa-italia] La risposta di Jon Tennant

Alessandro Sarretta alessandro.sarretta a gmail.com
Mer 4 Lug 2018 01:55:00 CEST

Cavolo, tosto il ragazzo! :-)

Io invece riporto un altro pezzo che smonta un altro elemento che
Elsevier porta spesso a suo vantaggio, cioè che Elsevier pubblica più
articoli aperti di ogni altro publisher...

Ale

-----

*Elsevier*: We are one of the leading open access publishers, and we
make more articles openly available than any other publisher.

*Tennant*: OK, it does not matter how many times this is said, but this
is called selective reading of data. In 2012-2015, Elsevier published
almost 1.4 million research articles. In 2016, it published 25,000 Open
Access articles (27,000 in 2017). If it publishes now 400,000 articles a
year (as stated above), this means that the vast majority of its content
is still paywalled. If Elsevier want to call themselves a leading OA
publisher, the same data indicates that they are still virtually the
largest paywall-based publisher, publishing around 375,000 paywalled
articles each year. Proportionally, this means that around 1 in 16, or
around 6% of Elsevier’s articles are actually OA; which many might say
makes it one of the smallest OA publishers, when so many now have 100%.
This also clearly does not lay credence to your claim that Elsevier are
embracing open science.

Note, that these articles often do not even fulfill the widely accepted
requirements for OA, as authors are asked to transfer ‘nominal
copyright’ to Elsevier, which in essence is almost the same thing as a
traditional copyright transfer. Furthermore, the vast majority of these
articles are published in hybrid journals. This is now becoming widely
recognised as an unsustainable approach to OA, and did not have any of
the intended effects that were first articulated (e.g., in creating a
transition to full OA, and creating a functioning market around APCs).
Calling yourselves a leading OA publisher is factually incorrect, and
again also ignores the history of lobbying against progressive OA policies.

--
--

Alessandro Sarretta

skype/twitter: alesarrett