[Oa-italia] construction of an Open Access Index

Iryna Solodovnik irysolo a gmail.com
Sab 23 Giu 2012 19:26:52 CEST

*[Forwarding from Theo Andrew, via the JISC-Repositories list. ]*

The *Open Access Index* is a new initiative funded by the JISC-Elevator
scheme. We propose to construct *a method to measure an author's
engagement with Open Access* which could be represented *by* a relatively
simple *numerical score* – the *Open Access Index.*

We are now in a position where we have* access to the information to
calculate such a score* through sources including *large bibliographic
databases, current research information systems, repositories* and *SHERPA
Romeo.*
Before we start WOULD LIKE TO HEAR YOUR VIEWS on whether there is there
a need, and how should the index be calculated:
http://oaindex.org/blog/2012/06/oa-index-survey/

If you have an interest PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK AND FILL IN THE SURVEY
which consists of these 4 questions:
1. Would an Open Access Index be useful?
2. We'd like your thoughts on why this index would be beneficial, and if
not, why not?
3. What factors should be considered in the construction of an OA-Index?
4. Would you be interested in being further involved?
*The OA-Index team* will be attending the *Open Repositories 2012
*(http://or2012.ed.ac.uk/) *conference in Edinburgh* where we will hold
an initial meeting. If you are attending the conference and want to
have some input into the OA-Index we are seeking expressions of
interest so we can get an idea of numbers to arrange a suitable venue
- please get in touch with us.
Theo Andrew
Research Publications Service
Edinburgh University Library

--

Iryna Solodovnik

Ph.D. candidate, International Ph.D. School for Humanities (University of
Calabria, Italy)

*"It is a simple procedure to calculate the number of Seeds in an Apple.
But who among us can ever say how many Apples are in a Seed?" (*Wayne Dyer )