[Oa-italia] Fwd: [IFLA-L] Open Access at the WSIS Forum 2011

Mauro Guerrini guerrini.mauro a fastwebnet.it
Ven 7 Gen 2011 11:55:49 CET

Ricevo da una lista di discussione dell'IFLA.
Un'ottima iniziativa.
Saluti,
Mauro Guerrini

Dear Colleagues

As you may know, the General Assembly passed a resolution
<http://2010.ifla.org/node/1603> at the Gothenburg Congress in 2010 that
encouraged IFLA to become more involved in the promotion of open access
issues. Following up on this, I would like to draw your attention to the
United Nations Group on the Information Society (UNGIS) Areas of Focus
for 2010-2011 <http://www.ungis.org/Default.aspx?tabid=1391>. One of the
areas of focus is "Open Access to Scientific Knowledge" -- a great
opportunity for us to showcase the innovative open access activities of
libraries at a UN level.

IFLA wants to take advantage of this and ensure that the issue is
addressed at this year's World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS)
Forum <http://groups.itu.int/default.aspx?tabid=856> which takes place
in Geneva, May 16-20. We will therefore be proposing a thematic workshop
on this topic at the Forum. It would help our proposal greatly if there
was visible interest on the topic on the WSIS Community website. We are
seeking interested people to  support our proposal. We would like to do
this by inviting you to join the WSIS Community platform to highlight
issues related to Open Access. A new group has been created on the
platform specifically to discuss Open Access and related topics:
http://www.wsis-community.org/pg/groups/58145/open-access/.

To make a submission on how you work with open access, showcase an
initiative or to start a discussion on the topic you will need to
emailwsiscommunity-invitation a unesco.org
<mailto:wsiscommunity-invitation a unesco.org>and ask to be registered for
the WSIS Community. Once you receive authorisation you can join the
group and get posting. Any submissions will help us demonstrate an
interest in the topic and push for its inclusion as a thematic workshop
at the forum -- your interest is much appreciated and I am positive that
something good will come out of any discussions!

Kind regards,

Stuart

Stuart Hamilton

Senior Policy Advisor

International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions

P.O. Box 95312
2509 CH The Hague

Netherlands

00 31 70 314 0884