[Oa-italia] dimensioni dei repository

Susanna Mornati mornati a cilea.it
Gio 22 Mar 2007 11:50:09 CET

Buongiorno a tutt*,
vi inoltro questo interessante messaggio girato in questi giorni su diverse
liste straniere, sperando che faccia discutere anche qui!
Saluti,
Susanna Mornati, CILEA

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:42:35 +0100
From: Isidro F. Aguillo <isidro a CINDOC.CSIC.ES>
Subject: Size of repositories

We have made an experiment when preparing the new edition of the
Webometrics Ranking of World Universities (http://www.webometrics.info/)
to calculate the number of documents in web repositories needed for
reaching certain level. We defined Premier League for the Universities
in the Top 200, World Class for the Top 500 and Regional Class when they
appear among the Top 1000.

We collected data for rich formats, including Adobe Acrobat (pdf), MS
Word (doc), MS PowerPoint (ppt) and PostScript (ps) files and Google
Scholar database.

The thresholds are as follows:

                   PDF     DOC    PPT      PS    SCHOLAR

PREMIER LEAGUE   19000    4000    2000    1000     3300

WORLD CLASS       7000    2000    1000     300     1200

REGIONAL CLASS    3000     500     300      50      400

These figures could be used as a reference in repository planning. All
the data refers to publicly accessible documents in the Web being
indexed by major search engines

--
***************************************
Isidro F. Aguillo

Cybermetrics Lab
CINDOC-CSIC
Joaquin Costa, 22
28002 Madrid. SPAIN

http://www.webometrics.info
http://www.cindoc.csic.es/cybermetrics
http://internetlab.cindoc.csic.es

Susanna Mornati, CILEA
Project Leader AEPIC, www.aepic.it
tel. +39 02 2699 5322, cell. +39 348 7090 226
mailto:mornati a cilea.it