[Oa-italia] recensione di Peter Jancso sull'archivio disciplinare e-lis

Paola Gargiulo paola.gargiulo a caspur.it
Mar 3 Lug 2007 16:25:01 CEST

Una recensione molto positiva dell'archvio e-lis e' apparsa sul sito di
Thomson Gale nella rubrica curata da Pete Jancso

    Péter's Digital Reference Shelf

    http://www.galegroup.com/reference/peter/200705/e-lis.htm

Ecco qualche estratto dalla recensione

...........The most remarkable feature of E-LIS is its genuinely
international coverage <http://eprints.rclis.org/view/countries/>. Of
course, this means that there are many non-English language documents in
the repository, but for many in the Spanish and German-speaking
countries, the Spanish and German language documents are as good if not
better (or more pertinent) than the English language documents.

There were 5,800 papers in the repository at the end of May, 2007. 2,045
of them are in Spanish; about 1,900 in English; and the rest are in more
than a dozen other languages. Researchers reading Spanish, Italian or
Portuguese can at least have a good sense of the documents in any of
these languages. This is not idle polyglot talk. I was an “Italianista”
in high school, studying Italian language and culture, and can read
Spanish and Portuguese information science literature pretty well. This
linguistic internationalism also implies a strong coverage of authors
from countries beyond the usual Anglo-Saxon world, especially those from
Spain (1,131), Italy (682), Cuba (465), India (395), and Mexico (219).
The presence of Turkish, German, Argentine, Serbian, Croatian, Austrian
and Swiss authors’ work also is significant.

E le conclusioni
...This service has seen impressive and steady growth
<http://www.galegroup.com/images/reference/peter/200705/e-lis/growth.jpg>
in documents as well as in usage
<http://www.galegroup.com/images/reference/peter/200705/e-lis/usage-stats-last-year.jpg>.
On the first day of June there were already 2,534 abstracts viewed and
863 papers downloaded well before the end of the day
<http://www.galegroup.com/images/reference/peter/200705/e-lis/usage-stats1.jpg>.
There were more than 150,000 full-text downloads in May, 2007 alone, a
record number in the history of E-LIS. The most abstracts were viewed in
June, 2006.

My words in this case may not have enough credit, however, because so
far I have not posted my own papers at E-LIS. Given the usage
statistics, and the quality of the archive, I promise that I will try to
catch up with this by the end of the summer, and join many of my peers
who have contributed to this outstanding resource, which apparently is
of great and constant interest for many in the LIS field.

Complimenti davvero alla redazione di E-lis e al team di Aepic!
Paola

--
Paola Gargiulo
Settore Automazione Biblioteche