[Oa-italia] Fwd: Springer Nature accelerates its transformative journey with the signing of landmark pure OA deal

Maria Cassella maria.cassella a unito.it
Ven 28 Giu 2019 12:14:35 CEST

due *transformative agreements *di SpringerNature firmati uno in Svezia
l'altro in Norvegia.
Saluti a tutti
Maria

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Da: LIBLICENSE <liblicense a gmail.com>
Date: ven 28 giu 2019 alle ore 00:42
Subject: Springer Nature accelerates its transformative journey with the
signing of landmark pure OA deal
To: <LIBLICENSE-L a listserv.crl.edu>

From: Katie Baker <katie.baker a springernature.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 09:15:22 +0000

*With apologies for cross posting*

We thought that the below announcement, issued today by Springer
Nature, would be of interest to this group.

****

Springer Nature accelerates its transformative journey with the
signing of landmark pure OA deal

Two further new read and publish deals drive Springer Nature’s
transformative deals into double figures

New agreements agreed this week with the Bibsam consortium in Sweden
and Norway’s Unit consortium take the number of Springer Nature’s read
and publish deals to ten, putting the publisher firmly on the path to
becoming a transformative publisher.

In a first for Springer Nature, Bibsam, representing the institutional
libraries, and four of Sweden’s funding bodies (the Swedish Research
Council, Formas, Forte and Vinnova) have agreed a deal which will see
them share the costs of publishing in Springer Nature’s OA journals.
This will enable Swedish researchers affiliated with participating
organisations in the Bibsam consortium to publish in over 570 of
Springer Nature’s OA journals, including Nature Communications, the
world’s most highly cited OA journal, and Scientific Reports, one of
the world’s largest OA journals, without having to directly pay APC
costs.

According to the Bibsam consortium, this collaborative approach to
supporting OA is, "only the beginning [and we] will continue to work
with funders and publishers to find solutions for new publishing
agreements".

This landmark agreement, which also sees a renewal of Bibsam’s read
and publish with Springer Nature, will cover 99% of Sweden’s
publishing output.

Springer Nature has also agreed a transformative read and publish deal
with Norway.  This agreement, which will run from 2020 to 2022, will
allow researchers in Norway to read articles in journals on
SpringerLink and Norwegian authors to publish Open Access in over 2000
journals, making primary research with corresponding authors from
Norway immediately and freely accessible from the point of
publication, which Unit says will, “meet all our requirements for
transition agreements, and will enable Norwegian researchers to read
and publish in the majority of Springer journals”.

Commenting on these two agreements, Frank Vrancken Peeters, Chief
Commercial Officer for Springer Nature, said: “Springer Nature is
committed to speeding up the transition to Open Access as having early
and rapid access to research findings is fundamental to the
advancement of science and discovery.

“We are extremely pleased to have signed with Bibsam our first ever
pure OA deal and are delighted to welcome Norway to our Read and
Publish family as we know the important role such deals play in
driving the transition to open access. They show what can be achieved
for the research community when academic institutions, libraries, and
research funders work effectively together.

“These deals mark an acceleration of our commitment to speed up the
transition to OA and, with such deals recognised by Plan S as a
compliant way to transition to OA, make our idea of transformative
publishing a reality.”

https://group.springernature.com/gp/group/media/press-releases/springer-nature-accelerates-its-transformative-journey-/16857900

Katie Baker
Springer Nature