[Oa-italia] Sulle spese per APC

Elena Giglia elena.giglia a unito.it
Lun 22 Ott 2018 16:53:16 CEST

Buonasera,
per la Open Access Week l'Universitą di Cambridge ha pubblicato un
interessante studio sulle spese per OA, che dimostra il paventato trend
sulla crescita delle APC e sulla solita concentrazione nelle mani di pochi
editori (stessa logica della "serial crisis"):
Cambridge Open Access spend 2013-2018
https://unlockingresearch-blog.lib.cam.ac.uk/?p=2219

Most of our expenditure (91%) goes on article processing charges (APCs), as
perhaps one might expect, but the block grants are also used to support the
staff of the Open Access Team (3%), helpdesk and repository systems (2%),
page and colour charges (2%), and publisher memberships (1%) (where this
results in a reduced APC). The majority of APCs we’ve paid go towards
hybrid journals, which represent approximately 80% of total APC spend.

So let’s take a look at which publishers have received the most funds.
We’ve tried to match as much of our raw financial information we have to
specific papers, although some of our data is either incomplete or we can’t
easily link a payment back to a specific article, particularly if we look
back to 2013-2015 when our processes were still developing. Nonetheless,
the average APC paid over the last 5 years was £2,291 (inc. 20% VAT), but
as can be seen from Table 1, average APCs have been rising year on year at
a rate of 7% p.a., significantly higher than inflation. Price increases at
this rate are not sustainable in the long term – by 2022 we could be paying
on average £3000 per article.
E la conclusione, in linea con PlanS, č che le riviste ibride hanno fatto
solo gli interessi degli editori commerciali, senza nessun impegno reale
alla transizione all'OA.

For Research Councils’ funded papers the new guidelines place an emphasis
on fully Open Access journals and hybrid journals where the publisher is
taking a sustainable approach to managing the transition to Open Access.
We’ve spent a lot of money over the last five years, yet it’s not clear
that the influx of cash from RCUK and COAF has had any meaningful impact on
the overall publishing landscape. Many publishers continue to reap huge
windfalls via hybrid APCs, yet they are not serious about their commitment
to Open Access.

Con buona pace dle nostro contratto CARE/Elsevier.
Cari saluti
eg

--
dr. Elena Giglia