[Oa-italia] Recommendations for Next Generation Repositories

Paola Gargiulo p.gargiulo a cineca.it
Mar 28 Nov 2017 15:18:37 CET

Rilevante per la lista
Inoltriamo messaggio inviato da Kathleen Shearer,  COAR Executive
Director a diverse liste  anche a nome di Eloy Rodrigues, COAR Chairman .
Paola

COAR is pleased to announce the publication of the work of the Next
Generation Repositories Working Group, /Behaviours and Technical
Recommendations of the COAR Next Generation Repositories Working Group
<https://www.coar-repositories.org/activities/advocacy-leadership/working-group-next-generation-repositories/>/
In April 2016, the Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR)
launched the Next Generation Repository Working Group to identify new
functionalities and technologies for repositories. In this report, we
are pleased to present the results of the work of this group, including
recommendations for the adoption of new technologies, standards, and
protocols that will help repositories become more integrated into the
web environment and enable them to play a larger role in the scholarly
communication ecosystem.

The current system for disseminating research, which is dominated by
commercial publishers, is far from ideal. In an economic sense, prices
for both subscriptions and APCs are over-inflated and will likely
continue to rise at unacceptable rates. Additionally, there are
significant inequalities in the international publishing system both in
terms of access and participation. The incentives built into the system,
which oblige researchers to publish in traditional publishing venues,
perpetuate these problems and greatly stifle our ability to evolve and
innovate.

At COAR, we believe the globally distributed network of more than 3000
repositories can be leveraged to create a more sustainable and
innovative system for sharing and building on the results of research.
Collectively, repositories can provide a comprehensive view of the
research of the whole world, while also enabling each scholar and
institution to participate in the global network of scientific and
scholarly enquiry. Building additional services such as standardized
usage metrics, peer review and social networking on top of a trusted
global network of repositories has the potential to offer a viable
alternative.

The vision underlying the work of Next Generation Repositories is,

/To position repositories as the foundation for a distributed, globally
networked infrastructure for scholarly communication, on top of which
layers of value added services will be deployed, thereby transforming
the system, making it more research-centric, open to and supportive of
innovation, while also collectively managed by the scholarly community./

An important component of this vision is that repositories will provide
access to a wide variety of research outputs, creating the conditions
whereby a greater diversity of contributions to the scholarly record
will be accessible, and also formally recognized in research assessment
processes.

Our vision is aligned with others, such as MIT’s Future of Libraries
Report <https://future-of-libraries.mit.edu/> and Lorcan Dempsey’s
notion of the “inside-out” library
<https://www.liberquarterly.eu/articles/10.18352/lq.10170/>, that are
defining a new role of libraries in the 21st century. This future
involves a shift away from libraries purchasing content for their local
users, towards libraries curating and sharing with the rest of the world
the research outputs produced at their institution. COAR’s mission is to
ensure that, as libraries and research organizations invest in and
enhance their local services, they adopt common standards and
functionalities that will allow them to participate in the global
network. We very much hope that the recommendations provided in this
report will contribute to the transition towards this new role for
repositories and libraries.

This was a truly collaborative effort. We would like to sincerely thank
the members of the Next Generation Repositories Working Group
<https://www.coar-repositories.org/activities/advocacy-leadership/working-group-next-generation-repositories/next-generation-repositories-working-group/> for
their generous contributions and significant efforts towards this
undertaking. They have brought a breadth and depth of expertise, without
which we would not have been able to accomplish this work. We are very
grateful!

Eloy Rodrigues, COAR Chairman and Kathleen Shearer, COAR Executive Director

Kathleen Shearer
Executive Director, Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR)
m.kathleen.shearer a gmail.com <mailto:m.kathleen.shearer a gmail.com> - +1
514 992 9068
Skype: kathleen.shearer2 - twitter: @KathleeShearer
www.coar-repositories.org <http://www.coar-repositories.org>