[Oa-italia] OA Publishing is OA, but OA is Not OA Publishing

Susanna Mornati mornati a cilea.it
Lun 29 Set 2008 11:31:39 CEST

Per gli appassionati di disquisizioni filosofiche di Harnad...
altrimenti dette (con affetto) s---- mentali ;-)

Saluti, Susanna

>To: AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM
>Date:    Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:12:26 -0400
>From:    Stevan Harnad <amsciforum a GMAIL.COM>
>Subject: OA Publishing is OA, but OA is Not OA Publishing
>
>Many silly, mindless things have been standing in the way of the optimal and
>inevitable (i.e., universal OA) for years now (canards about permissions,
>peer review, preservation, etc.) , but perhaps the biggest of them is the
>persistent conflation of OA with OA publishing:
>OA means free online access to refereed journal articles ("gratis" OA means
>access only, "libre" OA means also various re-use rights).
>
>OA to refereed journal articles can be provided in two ways: by publishing
>in an OA journal that provides OA (OA publishing, "Gold" OA) or by
>publishing in a non-OA journals and self-archiving the article (Green OA).
>
>Hence Green OA, which is full-blooded OA, is OA, but it is *not* OA
>publishing.
>
>Hence the many OA mandates that are being adopted by universities and
>research funders worldwide are *not* Gold OA publishing mandates, they are
>Green OA mandates.
>
>It is not doing the OA cause, or progress towards universal OA one bit of
>good to keep portraying it as a publishing reform movement, with Gold OA
>publishing as its sole and true goal.
>
>The OA movement's sole and true goal is OA itself, universal OA.
>
>Whether or not universal OA will eventually lead to universal Gold OA
>publishing is a separate, speculative question.
>
>OA means OA, and OA publishing is merely one of the forms it can take.
>
>(I post this out of daily frustration at continuing to see OA spoken of as
>synonymous with OA publishing, and of even hearing Green OA self-archiving
>mandates misdescribed as "OA publishing mandates".)
>
>If only we could stop doing this conflation, OA would have a better chance
>of reaching the optimal and inevitable more swiftly.
>
>Amen.
>
>Your weary archivangelist,
>
>Stevan Harnad

Susanna Mornati, CILEA
Project Leader AEPIC, www.aepic.it
+39 02 2699 5322, +39 348 7090 226,
mailto:mornati a cilea.it, skype: susanna.mornati

Disclaimer: the content of this email is confidential and may be
privileged, and it must not be disclosed or copied without the
sender's consent. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender and remove it from your system. The content of this
email does not constitute legal advice, nor any responsibility is
accepted for loss or damage incurred as a result of acting upon its
contents or attachments. The statements and opinions expressed in
this email are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
those of the employer.