[Oa-italia] Segnalo: Springer compra BioMed Central Group

MaryJoan Crowley maryjoan.crowley a uniroma1.it
Mer 8 Ott 2008 11:37:40 CEST

Berlin / London, 7 October 2008

Springer Science+Business Media has reached an agreement to acquire BioMed Central Group, the leading global open access publisher.... leggi tutto...

Peter Suber: The question now, is will BMC have more of an effect on the way commercial giant Springer publishes, or vice versa.... leggi tutto

Derk Haank, CEO of Springer Science+Business Media said:  "This acquisition reinforces the fact that we see open access publishing as a sustainable part of STM publishing, and not an ideological crusade.  We have gained considerable positive experience since starting Springer Open Choice in 2004, and BioMed Central's activities are complementary to what we are doing.  Additionally, this acquisition strengthens Springer's position in the life sciences and biomedicine, and will allow us to offer societies a greater range of publishing options."

Matthew Cockerill, Publisher of BioMed Central said:  "We are very excited about this new phase of BioMed Central's growth and development. Springer has been notable among the major STM publishers for its willingness to experiment with open access publishing.  BioMed Central has demonstrated that the open access business model can work, and we look forward to continued rapid growth as part of Springer. The support of our authors, journal editors and institutional customers has been vital to BioMed Central's success and we will continue to focus on offering the best possible service to these groups."

Cordialmente,

Mary Joan Crowley

Biblioteca Ingegneria Strutturale e Geotecnica
SAPIENZA University of Rome
via Eudossiana 18 - 00184 ROME Italy

office:  0644585387

e-mail: maryjoan.crowley a uniroma1.it